May 25, 2013

Mr Freeze Part 1: Design and Dome

A few months ago I started a new cosplay project for Singapore's International Cosplay Day and STGCC.  Last year, my fiancee and I met and befriended the phenominal photographer Jay Tablante while we were cosplaying The Joker and a female Penguin.  He dug our work so this year he wants to do a proper photo shoot with what we come up with.  As I had plenty of time to work and wanted a challenge and lots of learning opportunity, I settled on Victor Freeze of the Batman Universe while Elina is opting for Inque, of Batman Beyond.

Design

Rather than starting from scratch, I crawled the internet for a successful design to base my costume on.  Thankfully I stumbled onto the DC Universe Online design:
I love a lot about this design.  The cool colors are great, the mixture of hard armor and soft suit would be challenging, it looks hefty without being ridiculous, and has great lines and a good feeling of utility with good electronics flourishes.  It seems like this suit could actually be somewhat useful to wear for Freeze.  I didn't quite like how minimal the chest armor is though, so I did some quick digital painting and bulked it up by wrapping it all the way around the chest:
There.  That's a good working image.

Sourcing The Dome

The head dome has been one of the most problematic things in this build to find.  Weeks of searching for acrylic bell jars, plastic cake covers, and action figure cases led me in circles, as did experiments in reshaping (i.e. melting) plastic bowls and containers.  It's a very specific shape that is absolutely required for Freeze's identity, and the size and shape are both really specific.  Finally I bit the bullet and ordered a pack of garden cloaches from Lee Valley Tools in Canada.  Believe it or not, buying a pack of five of these suckers and shipping them all the way to Singapore was the easiest, cheapest way to get anything close to the right shape that I could find.  Geeze.
As you can see, when it finally arrived it was a bit bucket-like.  To fix that, I cut a slit up the back and overlapped a bit to make the edges more (but not fully) parallel and test-fitted some plastic around the base and covering said slit as trim.  This is a definite change from most Freeze designs.  However--as this is my interpretation of Freeze--I'm embracing the extra structure along the back of the helmet.  In my opinion, the best design decisions arrive organically.  In any case, it will need much refinement later.

That's it for now.  Next time will be adventures in making a body suit.

4 comments:

  1. I am planning to work on a Mr. Freeze costume for a local event and I found this blog! I think the cloche is a good material for the helmet. You got a pack, you say? :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did get a pack. :) I hope the blog is useful in helping you generate some ideas or techniques for your work. Checking out your blog, your work is beautiful! I hope you are proud.

    I should be picking up the pace over the next few weeks, so expect more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the helmet? I have been trying to get a Mr. Freeze helmet for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please respond smeritt28@gmail.com thank you.

    ReplyDelete